Welcome to my blog. I'm a former bodybuilder, coach and pro wrestler.

Please feel free to add comments or questions to any of my blog entries. It's always nice to have feedback.

Les

Sunday 10 October 2010

My Story: Part 2

My outlook on physiques is taper taper taper, small waist tapering, 32inch to probably a wide back with a good rib cage, and plenty of round looking pectorials what stand off with a melon like shape, arms about 20inch, with a taper from the wrist to about 15inch forearms, quite big traps for that for that most muscular pose, obviously a six pack but not too thick, and obliques what you can get your forefinger in. Then to the thighs: well cut about 30inch around with good thigh biceps and good teardrop muscels on the knees, calves all parts developed about 20inch at the thickest part tapering to a ankle about 10 inch , don't forget the neck about 18inch, this is my ideal physique and cut to the bone.

I remember Reg Park, the first time I saw him, he was about 6ft 1 inch quite long hair he did his calves for about three quarters of a hour, standing donkey calf raises with two of us on his back. This was at his health studio on Wellington Street in Leeds. All his muscles seemed to flow into one another. He was a big big man in all respects, not one of his muscles looked out of place, his calves must have been 19-20inch. I am very sorry that he died the way he did and my heart goes out to Marion and his two grown up children, God bless you Reg! You will be missed sadly forever.

Bill Pearl: well Bill beat the best in his time. Bill was about 5ft 11inch, 230-240 pounds, and again like Reg Park his muscles flowed into each other. Everything on him stood out, he was built like a brick proverbial, and those triceps must have made up 2/3 of his upper arms, Bill is still training. Come on, Bill, let us hear what you think about bodybuilding today.

Big Arnold Schwarzenegger: I had seen Arnold a few times and could not get over his physiques. He looked about 17 years old in his face, with the body of a man much older. He was friendly and a go getter. His arms must have been 21inch, chest about 60inch, his legs were all right, but needed a lot of work on them , which he brought up to par later on. He was 19 years old at the time, I think his mentors at the time was Wag and Diane Bennett. He was huge, I saw him do a 260 pound curl and a 650 deadlift. He did shows all over Europe and South Africa. He then went to America to live, and met the Weider brothers - he never looked back to this day. We all know about the Arnold classics, a physique show he runs every year. Also he is Governor of Califonia, which I suppose takes up most of his time. And a man of today, Arnold gives a lot of his time making bodybuilding acceptable, and his winners of his Arnold classics have the v shape and the x shape. I think Dexter Jackson would not be short of a Mr Olympia in shape.

Larry Scott: this is the man in shape. Won the first Mr Olympia. A bit blocky around the waist, but what an inspiration in the mid sixties. Massive 20inch arms, and the rest of his physique to match. I hope you are still training Larry. Lets see some photos.

Sergio 'The Myth' Oliva: I followed your progress from the start, I saw you once lifting a 150 pound Anvil with one arm, just beating Bertil Fox for the protien supplement but ended giving Bertil the supplement. What a body, tapering to a small waist, massive arms, massive thighs, good calves. What else can I say about this guy what hasn't been said. I heard some talk about his son being into bodybuilding. Let us know Sergio, are you still in the police force or have you retired? Keep strong and healthy.

John Citrone: I think John was the greatest small bodybuilder around. In his time he held strength records and I think he was more balanced then Arnold in the Universe ( early days of Arnold ). I think he is still competing, or was up to a few years ago. He had a strong man act when he was younger, second to none. John was unassuming quiet and always friendly. Lets hear from you John, or some photos please.

Training systems: well this is a needle in a haystack. Many years ago I went through the Charles Atlas courses, got fitter, gained a small bit of muscle; but I was an apprentice joiner at the time and could not get enough food down me working a ten hour day. When I finished it was all in all probably a good start for the beginner if they have not been physically active. At the time I could do 400 sit ups at one go.

The Bullworker: at least it was some resistance work, probably good when you are going in for competitions, i.e., warm-ups, but I always say that if you take your time and do the exercises correctly you will get benefit. Its that old chestnut again concentration and regularly. I did get some benefit out of chest expanders and I could go quite high in repetions, and the pump was amazing. I liked the machines, not mentioning which ones, but they were great when you are training on your own. But free weights get the parts where no other system get (sound like a beer advert?). If you are short of space to train in get a couple of dumbbells and you can get a decent workout. I've trained all places and every place you could imagine from basements to garages. I would get hold of the mags/books, etc that give you training advice or I would seek out a gym and make sure you talk to some of the gym members on your free trial (after training) and see what they think about the gym. Most people go to increase their fitness and just get a little bit stronger. Keep on the routine for ten to twelve weeks and you should be seeing some increase in your measurements, or decrease - if you are too much overweight you weight will definitely change.


Well time's going faster and I am 60 years old, had a new hip replacement. My grandson, Aidan, started training a while ago. His starting poundage were more or less the same as mine when I started training, so nothing's changed except he weighs a bit more than me at his age. I've set him a programme so he gets used to handling the weights. I hope he will be a natural bodybuilder, if he sticks at it that is. Must be heart breaking if all of a sudden he stopped training.

I'm glad I have been through the peaks and troughs of bodybuilding. I hope you will say a prayer for my friend, Brian Askin, who is sixty- eight years old, and never even took a headache pill, nor steroids, but still got cancer. I think it is laid out for you in life, but enough of that. I have not heard from many people lately, I have been pretty busy, and just fell out with writing for a while. Please be helpful to all new trainees, as these could be future coaches and Mr/Ms Olympias and Universe winners. All you young men and women out there, sign up to the Beef magazine,keep buying the mags, as they in time if saved will become collectors items.

Some tips

1. Something when you're bored. Have a week when 3-4 of you use a hat, and write down on some paper 5 exercises a piece , and put them in a hat. First exercise pulled out must be done strictly and correctly, and so on. Just gives you something different to train on. Probably done once a month.

2. For someone who wants to put on some weight, say a hard gainer, 1 large cup of skimmed milk powder, 2 spoons of cocoa powder, 1 pint of whole milk, and 1 banana, 2 scoops of ice cream.

3. Get some dessicated liver tablets, eat about 20 a day, Vince Gironda was big on dessicated liver. Yeast tablets you can buy and have about 20 a day. Get some choline and inositol tablets and see your muscles grow. Times are getting hard and this will be a cheaper option.

Les.

No comments:

Post a Comment